A Tep wireless portable WiFi hotspot device has been ordered for the tour. MikeG will pick it up at the Camden Court Hotel in Dublin when we arrive on September 11th.
We had one of these portable WiFi units in Scotland in 2011 and they work great. The key features are:
- Connects to Vodaphone 3G network in Ireland
- 5 devices can be connected simultaneously (smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc…)
- 15 metre range wireless hotspot
- Unlimited data upload/download
- however, when we use more than 300MB in a 24 hour period the connection speed is throttled down to 512 kbs
This portable WiFi does NOT enable regular voice calls via cellular networks, however it does allow VOIP calls with Skype, GoogleVoice, etc.. over the data network.
All of the hotel websites claim to have free WiFi. So what will we use this for?
- we will be in lots of places where free WiFi will not be available: the coach on the road, clubhouses, pubs and restaurants, out on the course, etc…
- to upload pictures, videos and blog posts to the tour website
- to make VOIP phone calls with Skype within Ireland or to home